I believe the goal of an educational institution is:
- To create the best possible learning experience and a safe, enthusiastic environment for each child.
- To educate the whole child including the physical, emotional, social, intellectual and creative domains.
- To educate students for their future roles in society as leaders of the 21st century, including understanding global environmental issues.
- To make a child’s world one that consists of a warmth and love, a love for learning, an excitement in discovery, and a secure feeling of belonging.
- To develop children’s independence as well as successful and positive ways of interacting in the world around them.
- To build bridges between the home and the school for the betterment of the children.
I believe that curriculum:
- Should be set up by professionals and in consultation with parents.
- Should be integrated within a variety of subject areas.
- Should promote literacy.
- Should teach values such as honesty, responsibility, respect, and self-discipline.
- Should be child-centered.
- Should include basic skills, and have opportunities for students to use high level thinking skills, and build intra-personal and inter-personal social skills.
- Every child can learn given an appropriate learning environment.
- Each individual has enormous potential for thinking and learning.
- Students need to have learning experiences that are relevant to their life.
- Learning experiences should be integrated so there is purpose in what they learn.
- Students learn more from active hands-on curriculum that allows them to explore and create.
- Students do not all learn the same way.
- Students learn from each other and from the modeling of behaviors by other students and adults.
I believe a teacher:
- Is a professional who has great interest in guiding children in ways so as to reach their potential.
- Has a role to create educational opportunities for students that enable them to think, value, feel, and act in age-appropriate ways.
- Is a coach for thinking and learning, not a giver of facts.
- Should have a love for children, subject matter, and a vision of teaching and learning.
- Is introspective, constantly learning and growing in the profession; life-long learner.
- Should create a learning environment that extends beyond the traditional classroom to real-time experiences, real-life applications, and community partnerships in learning.
- Is a mentor of other teachers and parents.
My educational philosophy has made me a life-long learner. My impact on children through my years in teaching has proven to be positive; subsequently, I believe my philosophy is a success “formula.” I believe in the impact that I have made within the educational community in Toronto, Canada and in China, and look forward to future opportunities to give more and share cross-cultural experiences.